A35 Hawthorn Class
Built for the Great Western Railway between April 1865 and February 1966 to a design by Joseph Armstrong the first 20 were constructed by the newly formed Avonside Engine Company Ltd. These 20 were named after famous engineers, a further 6 were built by the GWR at Swindon and these carried the names of withdrawn Firefly Class locomotives that they replaced. They had 16" x 24" cylinders, 6' driving wheels with a 4' carrying wheel. 'John Grey' was the first to be withdrawn in March 1876 but a number lasted until the demise of the broad gauge in May 1892. 10 were rebuilt as 2-4-0ST (A44) in 1877 with slightly larger 12" x 24" cylinders, 5' driving wheels and 4' carrying wheels.